Welcome to Introduction to the Old Testament. This 8 week course will go over the major events and some of the major characters in the Old Testament. Of course there’s too much to go over in just 8 weeks so we’ll be selective in the events that we cover. Each week you’ll have a reading assignment and discussion questions. Some weeks will have more reading than others. Some weeks there will also be optional reading offered to you. These books are not necessary for the course but will give you greater insight into the topic.
There will be two writing assignments for this class. More information will be given on those assignments during those weeks.
This week we’ll start in the beginning which seems like an obvious place to start. We’ll start with creation and work our way through the flood.
Corresponding articles and videos on this site
We have written on topics covered in this lesson. You can either read the article or watch the video, both cover the same material. These provide good supplemental thoughts to go with your Bible reading and may help you answer some of the questions below.
- Looking at a literal six day creation – watch the video
- The Fall of Man: Satan’s Tactics – watch the video
- Cain and Abel: a lesson in worship – watch the video
- Who or What are the Nephilim?
- Why Did People Live So Long in Genesis?
In the Beginning: Compelling Evidence for Creation and the Flood – you probably won’t read this all in a week but it’s a good resource
Just about anything on http://www.answersingenesis.org/
An Introduction to the Old Testament Pentateuch – Problems in Genesis 1-11 – pages 82-107
The first question is required. You may choose any of the remaining two questions to answer. Answers should be 100 words or more. You are welcome to use resources that you may have or search the internet for help.
1) Do you believe believe creation took place in a literal six days, through six “ages”, or through a process of millions of years. Give reasons for whatever your belief is.
Answer two of the following:
2) What can we learn about the devil from the way the serpent tempted Eve?
3) Why was Abel’s sacrifice acceptable but Cain’s was not?
4) What can you learn from the “chapter of death” in Genesis 5?
5) Who/what do you believe the Nephilim are in Genesis 6?
6) Why do you believe people’s lifespans decreased significantly after the flood?